Newspaper by TagDiv is one of the most popular WordPress themes on the market. It is the second highest selling theme in the News & Editorial category and it is quickly generating more sales. For several months, there was talk about the theme receiving a new version (version 6.0) and for a while there was no sign of it being released. However, the new update has been released and it has made a huge array of changes mostly for performance.
- tagDiv’s WP Booster API System is the new amazing tool designed to let you customize your theme even more
smart lists support was added.
- You have 5 built in smart lists to create multipage articles with style
- 12 different website headers were added. Each style comes with a logo spot which powers up your web identity, and a custom ad spot to maximize your income.
- 4 top bar templates (the black one) are now available. Now you can display the calendar date, an additional menu, the login/register section and the social icons in 4 different ways.
- 21 fully styled content blocks were added to show regular article loops
- 8 posts grids (called big grids in our theme) are ready to use for highlighting the latest posts or featured ones
- 5 big grid styles, each with unique animation and feeling. All of the big grid styles work on each of the 8 post grids. This provides great flexibility.
- 12 footer styles and a new footer info bar are now available. Customize the footer adding text, widgets or social icons and maximize your website’s impact on its audience.
- 16 modules that are used for displaying posts in loops.
- 5 new ad spots added to the theme to maximize your income. Each ad spot has one box where you can insert your ad code and the theme makes it responsive automatically.
- 11 post templates. We designed them paying attention to the smallest details. Now you can use a featured image or video, a custom WYSIWYG article editor and dozens of options to style your articles.
thumb selection system. The new systems allows you to customize what thumbs are needed to be cut, this keeps the number of generated thumbs low and the site faster.
- completely rewritten slide block – We’ve rebuilt this tool that let you create the perfect page for your website.
custom made parallax library. Made by us, it’s optimized to perform way better than off the shelf / open source solutions.
- custom made lazy loading library. Coded from scratch, it’s fast and works very well
- custom made animation stack library. This in-house built library will bring a lot of cool stuff to the articles
- custom made pull down menu – when there is not enough space for the categories in the block, this library builds a dropdown and starts to move items there
- custom made smart sidebar. Again, we decided to build our own solution and integrate it with our existing code to achieve extraordinary performance and flexibility. The smart sidebar library supports multiple sidebars, menus, full ajax support in and out of the sidebar, viewport resizing and more..
- the ‘Trending now’ block allows you have a ticker on the top of the main content area of your website showing the latest posts.
- the translation panel was completely rebuilt and the theme comes already translated in a lot of languages. The user can also correct the translations and share them with other users of the theme.
- RGB color support for all the configurable colors (a lot more colors than in V4)
- top bar menus now support submenus
- font awesome is now supported and styled to work in the main menu and in the top bar menu via a plugin (Font Awesome 4 Menus)
- setting to disable smooth scroll
- block settings added to theme panel
- 8 Category templates – the header of each category is fully customizable
- Each category can use another post grid if needed
- Each category can use another post grid style if needed
- optional category tag on almost all the modules
- the grid system was rebuilt and it’s much leaner
- .po/.mo translation support
- vectorial social icons
- welcome and support wp-admin panels
plugin installer – with way better usability
- one click installer that actually works as expected built from scratch, it’s made to provide a starting point for your site.
- tinyMCE – two columns support
- tinyMCE – text highlighting support (with multiple colors)
- tinyMCE – text background color support
- system status page – the theme will attempt to self-diagnosticate the most common problems that show up
the added arrow list style format in the post editor
- the theme panel text is now much more helpfull. We took the time to explain each setting as best as we could.
better excerpt support
- way better color selection panel
- the typography selection panel was improved a lot
we made all the panels related to the typography / theme fonts accessible from one panel
all the social networks that appear in the header and footer of the theme are now configured from a single panel located in the main theme panel
- the header panel was reorganized to follow a more logical order (top bar, main menu, logo etc)
- Ad box shortcode support title
- titles with big fonts now have a better readability (added letter-spacing)
- responsive go to the top arrow (it doesn’t cover the footer text on tablets)
- dynamic loading of blocks and modules ( ~15% lower ram usage )
- the video playlist is more compatible with different hosts/servers. If your video playlist was not downloading the video details, please update the theme.
- when the user disables the post view, the theme will stop keeping track of them in the background -> faster loading time
- the panel loads and saves faster. The total size of the panel was reduced by ~ 40%, we load the rest via ajax
- most of the controls from the panel are now animated via CSS
- a faster category page, the system that pulls the subcategories uses two fewer queries
- all the pages from the theme pass the new google metadata validation tool
- now on category pages the theme only gets child categories for the top level ones. Otherwise, it will show the siblings
we refactor the live ajax search box, it now provides a better user experience and it’s prepared for major improvements
- better paint (on screen drawing) performance on iOS
- better font loading system – it now loads by default only the selected characters
- better visual composer support (the theme supports the design tab from visual composer on rows and columns as expected
- better support for ie8 and ie9 (we keep track of the CSS selector limit that ie8 and ie9 have)
rich snippets reviews
- click on home link and on logo adds a trailing backslash as expected, preventing one redirect
disqus comments css
- social sharing from Jetpack css
- comments pagination bug
- speed booster – font loading and speed booster font optimizations. The speed booster uses collections to load fonts now
- php notice when source or via have no url
- author meta data was a bit broken in google meta data testing tool
- author meta data is present even when SHOW AUTHOR BOX is set to disabled in theme panel
- tagDiv modal window is now translated as well (1 of 2 etc)
- video playlist title encoding issue with double “
- https issue on backend. TinyMCE font was loaded via HTTP
- astpect ration for vimeo videos
- missing translations
- webmaster tools error caused by two search queries that go to the same page /search/ and ?s=
This update clearly has NewsPaper as the fastest performing and most elegant looking Magazine Theme on the market. Out of the box it scores a solid 90 on the Google Page Speed test (no optimization has been done) and the mobile scores are impressive as well. I recommend that everyone who is looking for a professional and fast-loading News/Magazine theme takes a look at NewsPaper from TagDiv.